Florida death metallers CANNIBAL CORPSE have confirmed that all of their previously announced shows in 2019 will go ahead as scheduled, despite guitarist Patrick “Pat” O’Brien‘s recent arrest.
O’Brien was arrested on December 10 on charges of aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer and burglary of an occupied dwelling with assault. Deputies say he burglarized a house and charged at a deputy with a knife.
Earlier today, CANNIBAL CORPSE issued the following statement: “As a band and as individuals, we all want nothing but the best for our brother and partner, Pat. While we can offer no further information about the incident, we wanted everyone to know that Pat is getting the help he needs and appreciates the love and support from CANNIBAL CORPSE fans around the world.
“Pat is currently with family and friends and looks forward to a healthy return at some point. For anyone wondering, all CANNIBAL CORPSE touring will happen as planned and all shows will be played.”
O’Brien allegedly broke into a Northdale, Florida home on December 10 and shouted that “the rapture is coming” before pushing a woman to the ground. He ran toward a responding deputy with a knife and was subdued with a stun gun.
Less than half a mile from where O’Brien was arrested, a fire broke out at the house he was renting, sending flames billowing into the night sky from the roof. Fire marshals found a large cache of weapon, locked safes and potential explosive devices inside O’Brien‘s home.
The owner of the home where O’Brien was arrested wouldn’t go on camera but told ABC Action News he thought the guitarist was hallucinating when he spoke to him and claimed “someone was after him.” The homeowner added O’Brien seemed scared and at one point even hid in his closet.
At a first appearance hearing on December 11, a Hillsborough County judge told the 53-year-old musician, clad in an anti-suicide vest with his hands and ankles chained together, that he would first have to pass a drug test before he would be allowed to post bail and leave jail.
O’Brien was released from Hillsborough County jail on Friday, December 14, after posting a $50,000 surety bond.
CANNIBAL CORPSE announced last week that it would be part of the next North American leg of SLAYER‘s farewell tour.
Join the our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from the SDMETAL team.